Sunday, February 6, 2011

Work Hard & Be Nice To People!

Friends, I'm so pumped up today. I've got some pretty exciting projects on the horizon that I can't wait to kick off. The biggest problem I seem to be having at the moment is a lack of hours in the day to produce things, and that is a good problem to have. I'm having an intensely optimistic week as things seem to be falling into place. It's good stuff.



I've got two poster designs on the brain. The now ubiquitous "Keep Calm & Carry On" poster for one, which I'm sure you know about by now because it's been all over the place for a few years. It's a good message because too often in life we get caught up in the craziness and forget how truly lucky we are. And further to that, it's a good message for any workplace because even small crises are usually manageable if one stays calm and stays the course of their goals.

It's fitting that the poster has reached a height of popularity during a fiscal crisis; the poster was 
originally designed during the beginning of World War II to raise the morale of the population who lived in fear of being invaded. Now that's something to incite panic; a fiscal crisis pales in comparison. None the less it has been a fitting popular message in the past couple of years. (Not to mention a great piece of design work.)




But there's another one that is a take-off of it that comes to mind too and it really seems to be something that is working for me lately.  That's the "Work Hard & Be Nice to People" version.  It's a mantra for me really, because I don't know what other approach to take in life. Sometimes you are rewarded for this approach and sometimes people take it for granted. I've learned that if people take it for granted, they aren't the right people to be around.

Further to that, new opportunity keeps coming my way. It seems the more effort I put in, the more hard work I do (sometimes for little or next to no pay) the better the opportunities are. So long as the bills are paid, I'm not even that concerned about the money. (Though, I wouldn't say no to more, lets be honest here...) The point is, life is bigger than a paycheck, and the liberation in realizing that fact has been so profound, I can't imagine how I ever got through my day-to-day otherwise.




1 comment: